Roter.Teufel

Sub-Administrador
Team GForum
Entrou
Out 5, 2021
Gostos Recebidos
Armed police scrambled to school on lockdown after suspicious phone call

0_DPP_SAH_SL220275_007JPG.jpg

Esher C of E High School in Surrey and surrounding roads have been placed into lockdown following a suspicious phone call that caused armed and unarmed police to scramble to the scene

A school in Surrey has been put on lockdown after armed police were scrambled to the site after a suspicious phone call was received this morning.

Esher C of E High School has been taken over by armed and unarmed police - with roads outside the school closed.

No confirmation as to what has happened has been given yet, with the school and police unable to confirm what sparked the cause for concern, but officers first attended the scene at 12.40pm.

A police spokesman said: "Uniformed armed officers at scene at Esher C of E High School following reports of a concern for safety.

"Enquiries being carried out inside and outside premises to establish circumstances. Students and staff at school remain inside building as precaution at this time. Further updates to follow."

And a later update from police said that they attended following "reports of a concern for safety" after reports of a suspicious phone call.

The spokesman tweeted at 2.40pm: "Uniformed+armed officers at scene at #Esher C of E High School following reports of a concern for safety. "Enqs being carried out to establish circs.

"Students+staff at school remain inside building as precaution at this time. Further updates to follow on."

One worried parent, who wished to remain anonymous, told SurreyLive heard that there was "a man on the site with a gun".

"My son was asking me why I was freaking out, but I'm old enough to remember Dunblane [massacre in 1996]," she added.

"I tried to distract myself, but every time my phone pings... but I know they were safe and locked in, but it's the not knowing directly what's happening and the fact it went on for so long.

"The fact it went on that long and there were so many police made me think it was something serious."

It has now been confirmed that the students have been allowed to leave the school.

Surrey Police have so far confirmed that no weapons have been found on the site as they continue to search the premises.

A recent police statement read: "Contrary to speculation on social media, we have not yet recovered any weapons at the scene. No arrests have been made at this time."

According to Surrey Live, parents of pupils at the school all had messages to advise them that their children were "safe", but that they should not come to the school "at this time", and a local radio station - Radio Jackie - confirmed that Moor Lane outside the school has been closed.

Pupils took to tweeting the local Elmbridge Beat (Surrey Police) police twitter account while they were trapped inside the school to try to find out what was going on and voice their feelings on the matter.

One pupil wrote: "I want to go home".

And another tweeted: "Please let me have my lunch."

Daily Star Sunday