Notícias England boss Gareth Southgate wants to win Euro 2024 'so much it hurts'

Roter.Teufel

Sub-Administrador
Team GForum
Entrou
Out 5, 2021
Gostos Recebidos
England boss Gareth Southgate wants to win Euro 2024 'so much it hurts'

0_England-v-Slovakia-Round-of-16-UEFA-EURO-2024.jpg

Gareth Southgate has taken England to back-to-back European Championship finals - and the loss to Italy at Euro 2020 has left the Three Lions boss wanting to win Euro 2024 'so much it hurts'

Gareth Southgate admits he wants to win Euro 2024 so much it hurts.

And he knows the outcome of tomorrow's final against Spain in Berlin will define him as England boss. The Three Lions face a historical clash with Spain to see who will be crowned the new kings of Europe.

It will be England's first final on foreign soil - and could see Southgate and his stars write their names into footballing folklore. Southgate has come so close to landing a major trophy as boss, having reached the last Euros final and semi final of the 2018 World Cup.

Now he has a glorious chance to break down that final barrier - and Southgate is desperate to finally get his hands on a trophy.

Southgate, who has a full squad to choose from, said: "It will (define me), but in the eyes of others. Age and experience has made me more comfortable with who I am, what I'm good at, what I need to be better at.

"I completely understand that in the end winning - and what that means - completely changes how you’re going to be viewed by other people. But I know the job now and I’m really clear on being my own biggest critic, reviewing everything clearly.

"I know there is a body of work there, and how we've worked with different teams, different groups of players that we’ve brought together to get the outcomes that we have. But I want to win so much on Sunday it hurts."

Southgate knows he's changed how people view the England team - but also knows ultimately winning is the most important thing of all. He added: "I think we've changed how English football is perceived around the world.

"But there’s still some questions to answer on that until we win. In the end people will still question that final bit - and I understand that. And on Sunday nothing matters as much as winning the game."

Daily Star Sunday